Bonavista’s Anglican Christ Church was alive with the sound of (brand new!) music last night for the Newfound Talent contest, the inaugural event of MusicNL Week 2016!
Teenaged contestants from across the province performed original material and covers from Oasis to Fleetwood Mac during the hour-long event. Each performance was followed by a critique from judges Don-E Coady, Carolann Fowler and Tom Cochrane, who were also assigned the unenviable task of selecting three winners from among the ten performers.
After a short deliberation, first-, second- and third- place prizes were awarded to Jacob Critch of St. John’s, Mahalia Legge of Garnish and Bonavista’s own Kyle Waye, respectively.
All three winners were awarded delegate passes for MusicNL Week 2016, a year-long MusicNL membership and a massage therapy session at WINTERHOLME WELLNESS. First-place winner Jacob Critch was also awarded:
- a professionally recorded demo CD from GN Audio;
- mixing by The Blue Room;
- mastering by The Sound Solution;
- graphic design by DC Design House;
- manufacturing by Atlantic Disc and DVD;
- photoshoot from Chris Ledrew Photography;
- music video shoot from Tom Cochrane Photo;
- consultation with artist manager with Feedback Music;
- and a gift card from Long & McQuade.
MusicNL congratulates the winners and thanks all contestants for sharing their incredible talent. We can’t wait to hear what the rest of the week will bring!